BISMARCK — Growing up in North Dakota, I have been able to experience the state both before and during the oil boom.

During my childhood, I spent a lot of time in western North Dakota and watched as many towns seemed to slowly wither away as more and more residents and businesses moved either out of state or to larger cities within the state.

For North Dakotans like me who graduated from high school in the past decade, two major events have shaped the economic outlook of our careers.

While the recession and housing crisis sent the U.S. economy into a tailspin, the downturn was superseded for North Dakota youth by the Bakken Oil Boom, an event that made North Dakota an island of prosperity in a sea of states in financial turmoil.

For young adults who elect to stay in North Dakota, the opportunity to build satisfying, rewarding careers has never been better. In fact, because of our booming economy, we have great-paying job prospects not only in technical professions such as engineering, computer science, welding and medicine, but also in many other careers such as finance, marketing and accounting.

The energy industry provides careers to people of all educational backgrounds with tremendous potential to move up the career ladder.

I chose to major in mechanical engineering at North Dakota State University. The major should provide me with a wide range of job opportunities and let me move within the industry.

I’ve had the privilege of protecting our state’s natural resources and ensuring the safety of our well sites through environmental surveys as well as spending the past two years in Minot within the pipeline industry — an industry that offers a permanent solution to our dependence on trucking, making our roads less crowded and safer.

It is clear at this point that the Bakken Oil Boom isn’t merely a short term (black) gold rush; it’s here to stay.

My generation, new to the workforce, will find tremendous career opportunities because of our thriving energy industry, jobs that as few as 10 years ago were not available in North Dakota.

Clay Feldner

Comments

With the North Dakota Oilfield Service, they once again win the right to claim the title of the best business in the world.

05/24/2016 12:28pm

The situation of the oil is becoming on the international level, the prices are going down day by day. With these circumstances some businesses are really earing the huge amounts of the profit. And some are getting the loss.

06/04/2016 4:16am

I am really grateful to read your article. I discovered a lots of strategies after seeing your blogs. Great work.

06/19/2016 10:15pm

outstanding desires moreover many wonderland My, individual loved one along with my family in addition to we understand fantastic aspects by means of right here, people web page will probably be incredibly combining.

06/19/2016 11:00pm

actually people web page appears amazingly outstanding moreover I quite like they, having all the best ., superior and even more outstanding for ones web page

These evening may be a great morning hours when you offer any kind of critical issue as part of your web web page currently, that may be precisely what The actual wife or husband as well as nearly all individuals sensed at this time.

06/20/2016 12:06am

Often it's just a uncomplicated over joyed, thinking of your notice seyum without doubt satisfied, an individual provide every one of the web internet websites, kind regards.

06/20/2016 12:40am

The past This particular loved one along with most of us miss search for answer combined with energy function ebooks, nonetheless right here This particular loved one and also the wife or husband as well as the husband or wife in addition to we avoid getting on the inside attain dibuku.

12/07/2016 11:01am

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!

When such thinks of Bismarck North Dakota, such does not conceive about furnishings to do normally, all the same, such will be pleasantly thrown off guard to manage some of the exciting material that one boot do. Made famous aside Lewis and Clark trek, General Custer and the seventh Cavalry.If you would like to know about Mech Design visit us at militaryvehiclemodels.com.

05/08/2017 3:52am

Excellent post. I will certainly come back to read more of the articles about food. We love to try new receipts and new food, not only our native